The last date for Aadhaar-PAN linking is here and you need to complete the procedure on Thursday in order to avoid a penalty. The Income Tax Department has said non-linking of Aadhaar with PAN by March 31, 2022 would attract a penalty of up to Rs 1,000.
However, such a Permanent Account Number (PAN) will remain functional for one more year till March, 2023, for filing Income Tax Returns (ITR), claiming refunds and other I-T procedures.
PAN-AADHAAR LINK LAST DATE
- The central government had made it mandatory for taxpayers to link their Aadhaar with PAN with effect from July 1, 2017.
- However, the apex decision making body on direct taxes, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the deadline for linking Aadhaar with PAN several times in the last five years.
- Finally, the deadline has been fixed on March 31, 2022.
- “However, till 31st March, 2023 the PAN of the assessees who have not intimated their Aadhaar, will continue to be functional for the procedures under the Act, like furnishing of return of income, processing of refunds etc,” the CBDT said in a circular.
- After March 31, 2023, the PAN of taxpayers if not linked with Aadhaar, would become inoperative and all the consequences under the Act for not furnishing, intimating or quoting the PAN will be applicable to such taxpayers, the CBDT stated.
AADHAAR-PAN LINK STATUS
If you have already linked your Aadhaar with PAN, you can check PAN-AADHAAR link status at https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/panaadhaarlink/forms/pan.html/panaadhaar
You need to enter details such as PAN number and your date of birth.
After entering captcha, you need to click on submit. A message will be displayed stating the status.
HOW TO LINK AADHAAR-PAN
If you have not linked your Aadhaar with PAN, you can do it so at https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/pre-login/bl-link-aadhaar .
You need to enter details such as PAN, Aadhaar number, name as per Aadhaar, and mobile number.
Once these details are filled in, please click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
AADHAAR PAN LINK LATE FEE
Those taxpayers who will link their PAN with Aadhaar from April to June, would have to pay late fees of Rs 500.
Beyond that, the penalty would rise to Rs 1,000, according to the circular issued by CBDT on Wednesday.
As per data available, till January 24, 2022, more than 43.34 crore PANs have been linked with Aadhaar. Over 131 crore Aadhaar cards have been issued so far, according to the PTI report.
PAN-Aadhaar linkage would help in eliminating duplicate PAN and curbing tax evasion.