Brazilian soccer legend Pele was hospitalized to undergo treatment for a colon tumor. As per the hospital statement, he is in stable condition and should be discharged in the next few days.
Pelé was briefly put in intensive care after surgery on his colon. He was discharged on Sept. 30, almost one month after being hospitalized, and doctors said he would begin chemotherapy.
Kely Nascimento, a daughter of Pelé’s living in the United States, posted a picture of one of his sisters and her father in the hospital. Both were smiling.
“My father finished a procedure that was scheduled for months,” Nascimento said. “In two or three days he will go back home to enjoy Christmas.”
According to Wednesday’s medical bulletin, Pele is continuing his treatment.
“The patient is stable, and the forecast is that he will be released in the coming days,” the statement said.
It gave no details on the seriousness of his tumor or how the treatment is progressing.
Widely considered to be one of the greatest footballers of all time, Pele has suffered from a series of health issues in recent years. Hip surgery left him with recurring pain and he cannot now walk unaided.
Just weeks before the pandemic hit Brazil last year, his son said the former Santos and New York Cosmos player was depressed, which Pele later denied.