shadow

The death toll in the firing incident that followed a security operation in Nagaland on Saturday evening has risen to 15. As many as 14 civilians and one soldier were killed in the incident.

Security forces had opened fire on civilians in Nagaland’s Mon district in two consecutive incidents of firing on Saturday evening.

The first firing occurred when army personnel who mistook some coal mine workers were returning home in a pick-up van to be insurgents belonging to the Yung Aung faction of proscribed outfit NSCN (K). Six workers were killed then.

Here are the top 10 developments:

1) A curfew has been imposed in Mon town where the incident occurred.

2) An official order was earlier issued by the state home department and signed by Chief Secretary J Alam. It said that there were firing incidents on December 4 in an area between Tiru and Oting villages, involving security forces in which many civilians were killed and several others injured.

3) Section 144 has been clamped in Mon district and mobile internet, bulk messaging services have also been suspended due to the incident. The Army issued a statement calling the loss of lives “unfortunate”. It said the incident is being probed at the highest level and action would be taken as per law.

4) In an official statement, Assam Rifles said a specific operation had been planned in the area “based on credible intelligence of likely movement of insurgents”. “The incident and its aftermath are deeply regretted. The cause of the unfortunate loss of lives is being investigated at the highest level and appropriate action will be taken as per the course of law,” the statement said.

5) Following the firing incident in Nagaland’s Mon district, several students’ unions and political parties, among others, demanded the immediate repeal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in the Northeastern region.

6) Nagaland’s most influential organisation, Naga Mothers’ Association (NMA), too, condemned the incident and demanded that the state government take cognisance of the alleged human rights violations under AFSPA. Nagaland Students’ Federation has called a statewide bandh on Monday, December 6, to protest the incident.

7) Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio is slated to visit the affected area on Monday. He will participate in the funeral ceremony that is likely to go on till 12:30 pm. Rio said the incident was “highly condemnable” and a “high-level” special investigation team would probe the case to ensure “justice is delivered”.

8) Kohima’s Hornbill Festival was called off after the incident.

9) Several opposition MPs on Monday issued notices to discuss the Nagaland firing incident in Parliament.

10) Congress leader Rahul Gandhi sought a “real reply” from the Union government over the incident.

Author

India today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.